Friday, May 16, 2014

Odds and ends from Team Penske Press Conference

Roger Penske on the dominant performance of the Mercedes-Benz engine in 1994, which was outlawed soon after that year’s Indianapolis 500: “If you do too well, typical, you get slapped.”
That year, Al Unser Jr. won the pole and the race; he and Emerson Fittipaldi combined to lead 193 of the 200 laps.

Rick Mears on possibly climbing a fence after his fourth 500 victory in 1991: “No, not at all. They didn’t have fences back then.”

Mears on the old qualifying format when drivers had three attempts per car, and on Pole Day likely had just one opportunity: “I enjoyed that only, having one shot at it. I felt it really put the pressure on. You had to get four laps, every corner. If you blew one corner, you blew the whole deal. I enjoyed that pressure.”


Juan Pablo Montoya on changes to the car to accommodate the increased turbocharger boost: “I don’t know. I know we’re doing gears. But I don’t know. I just drive it.”

Photo credit: Chris Owens/Indianapolis Motor Speedway

No comments:

Post a Comment