Saturday, May 15, 2021

30 Days in May: No. 15, Peter Revson, 1973 Gulf McLaren/Offy

Welcome to our monthlong countdown celebrating notable drivers and cars from the history of the Indianapolis 500!

Majeske collection
Peter Revson finished 31st in the 1973 Indianapolis 500. Sadly, it was his last race at Indianapolis.


30 Days in May: No. 15, Peter Revson, 1973 Gulf McLaren/Offy. A front-row starter the previous two 500s, Peter Revson was the first qualifier for the 1973 race. He wound up starting 10th and finished 31st after crashing coming out of Turn 4 after only three laps. That year, I remember my mom taking me to a drug store in the Speedway Shopping Center to meet Revson, who was promoting Rev-Up vitamins, and get an autographed picture, which I still have.

Majeske collection
I was delighted to "reunite" with Peter Revson's 1973 Indy 500 car in 2018. Well, sort of.
According to oldracingcars.com, the whereabouts of that car are unknown.
Nevertheless, this is an outstanding restoration and it was nice to get close to a Gulf McLaren again. 


Majeske collection
My late mother made this for me many years ago. It's a bit worse for wear now,
but you can see the autographed photo mentioned in the story.


No comments:

Post a Comment