Sunday, May 13, 2012

Indianapolis 500 Commentary: Ads on the Walls


When I first read about sponsor logos on the outside walls at the north end of the track in today’s Indianapolis Star, my first inclination was to hop on my high horse. I wanted to gallop at a furious pace through the Internet, shouting about how the sanctity of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway had been violated, how the Indianapolis 500 continues to be NASCAR-ized and marginalized, how the month of May has been ruined, blah, blah, blah.

After giving the issue more thought, that high horse looks more like a Shetland pony.

Professional auto racing is a commercial endeavor. After all, problems usually arise from a lack of sponsors for a (pick one) driver, event or series, not the other way around.

Actually, sponsors and partners were “ghosted” into Indianapolis 500 telecasts more than a decade ago. Making those banners permanent and real was just the next step.

The purist in me is sorry to see this chapter in the history of IMS close; I’m sure more stuff will be pasted all around the facility’s 500-some acres in the coming days, weeks, years. It’s a sign of the times, so to speak, and from that standpoint it’s a little sad.

On the other hand, I remind myself that drivers in the Indianapolis 500 are trying to win the Borg-Warner Trophy – not the Indianapolis 500 Trophy – and have been since 1936.

Photo credit: Chris Owens/Indianapolis Motor Speedway

No comments:

Post a Comment